Sunday, November 30, 2014

Ask a Trooper

     Have you ever noticed that when you're having a bad day, no matter how bad it is, sometimes all it takes is a smile from someone else to turn things around.
     About 30 years ago I had one of those days and it was a day I would never forget.  I was working the freeways of downtown Minneapolis running from crash to crash red lights and siren. Back then the siren was built into the light bar which of course sat on top of the squad car above my head. It was so loud in the car that our dispatchers couldn't hear me unless I turned the siren off.  So you can imagine how my head felt after four hours of that.
     When the action slowed down I decided to head up to the freeway around north Minneapolis, where it was a little quieter, and work some traffic. I was sitting along the side of the freeway when I noticed an SUV traveling a little too fast so I decided to pull him over.  As I walked up towards the vehicle I could see the driver in his outside rear view mirror.  The guy had this big smile.  Now, this is not something that we normally see when we walk up to a vehicle during a traffic stop.  People are not usually excited about this type of event in their life.
     As I got closer I could see the driver's face a little better.  I thought to myself, I know this guy.  But it can't be.  I walked up to the driver's side window, looked in, and sure enough it was him.  He asked me if I needed to see his driver's license and I said no.  I believe I know who you are.  We talked for a little bit then I sent him on his way advising him to slow down a little.
     As I walked back to my car with a big smile it was if the first four hours of my shift had never happened and my headache was gone.  I thought to myself this guy has a gift where he can make someone feel good about themselves.
     He once said "Don't take life for granted, tomorrow isn't promised to any of us."  Wise words from someone who grew up in the projects of Chicago to become one of the greatest baseball players of all time.
     The man I have been talking about was Kirby Puckett.  Even with the personal problems Puckett faced after retirement Minnesota has never found an athlete so beloved.
     So the next time you hop into your car remember not to take life for granted.  Drive with common sense, buckle up and make sure everyone else does too.

No comments:

Post a Comment